Tuesday, January 5, 2021

0125 - Rules & Review Rant

 I finished the campaign I originally started with the v2.2 using the new v4 Alpha from Free League (FL) games. I just wanted to give a few thoughts on my experiences. Keep in mind, these are my opinions and they do not validate or invalidate anyone else’s. These are simply my thoughts.

The positive things first: generally I am very happy with the rules. The playing has been leveled a lot and NPCs are actually dangerous now. In v2.2, Griff would act with or before most NPCs and his hit capacity would ensure that he could take several rounds from an AK-74 before being seriously in danger. That is no longer the case.

Initiative cards can allow the NPCs to act before our heroes, breaking the fixed combat routines of the previous version. The reduced hit capacities mean that being wounded becomes a serious issue from the first hit and critical hits add a new dimension of injuries that can have lasting effects for the characters.

The rules for vehicles are simple and I am happy with them. It is still possible to kill a tank (or an OT-64 :-( ) and the rules for explosions deliver a satisfying result. I like the inclusion of IEDs and find the rules for chemical weapons and radiation playable, although I tend to avoid these. The really muck a game if used too liberally.

I love the reliability concept and I have no problem with the jam mechanic. The rules are simple and can be applied easily without disrupting the game. In all the time the team was underway, it has not really been and issue and it does motivate one to find extra parts for everything, which I like because it does add depth to the game. Kudos to the FL team.

I really like the travel mechanic and find the rules to be generally well thought out. The introduction of conditions such as hypothermia add an interesting twist to travel. No more sluggin’ through the fall rain for hours without a care in the world. You need to start thinking about your own survival and taking it seriously.

Actions in camp, such as keeping watch and even making camp have an elegant rule set and I really like those. I think the roll for food poisoning could be simpler by having one roll for everyone and not for just 12 people but I know the ultra-simulationists are going to have a problem with it.

I know that this is an Alpha and things will change. I have posted some ideas for corrections and such to the FL Forum and I find the team is really working hard to take the feedback and consider them for the next version. That being said, I do NOT expect each of my suggestions to be codified in the next rule set. I am one of several thousand backers and I hope to get what I am looking for in the next version and if not, well, that is why we have house rules.

I like the combat concept and the use of successes. The rolls are simple and produce an acceptable result. I am not really happy with the ammo dice for single-shot weapons, but I understood from Tomas that that is being looked.

What I do not really favor is the encounter system. I agree that pulling a random card is a simple mechanic but the use of the cards makes it kind of repetitive. It also takes no account of the territory that the group is traveling through. The v2.2 had the concept of Territory Type and the encounter types were modified based on the territory one traveled through. Traveling through a Terrorized environment increased your chances of meeting marauders while traveling through an Organized environment meant that you might meet some friendly merchants.

Merchant convoys and trade are somethings that did not find there way into the Alpha and I am hoping that will change. If the characters want to hire on as caravan guards, it might be nice to have some somewhere.

Another thing is the number of encounters. If the troop move 12 hexes in a shift then they may have 12 encounters. That is seriously a lot and will slow down travel a lot. I also wonder if it is realistic to meet someone or someting in each hex. It is a lot and becomes tedious after a while.

I believe the territory mechanic and it's associated encounter types could be easily integrated with the existing hex system (which I REALLY like) and I have started to note the territory types on my campaign map, adding a new layer for territories and combat units.. I will be using these for encounters in the future (sorry, FL Team). The addition of territories to the map looks then like this:



In closing, I like the new rules and will stick by them. Are they perfect? No, that would be a ridiculous expectation to have a rule set perfect for everyone, but they are a good rule set that does a good job of providing the post-apocalyptic survival simulation in a simple manner. Looking forward to the final release and my coveted metal box.


9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. One house rule I will be using is one encounter per day, not per shift, not per hex, unless the characters are doing stuff that draws attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great rundown. Very interesting. One encounter in each hex is too much; we have to remember this is a depopulated world. And yeah, territory types are useful and necessary. I like the sound of the new rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. There is a discussion going on on that point but I do not want travel to degenerate into a never-ending series of firefights without actually getting somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been kind of fascinated by the 2.2 encounter system with the interplay between the Terrain & Territory characteristics of each hex. I even went through the process of reorganizing the tables from the book, to try and figure out how to streamline the flow, since it is kind of crammed into too few pages in the rule book. (but there is a huge amount of information packed into that book, so it is understandable.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually made home-brew system based on v1 and v2.2. It is the one that I have used to generate the previous encounters. It has worked out well for me up to this point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your reviews and dissemination of the rules, comparing to the older Twilight rules. I remember my old books and I had some of the modules published. I will continue to follow along as you publish more journals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for those kind words. I like the idea of helping others to better enjoy the game and at the same time I get my gaming fix, so it is a win-win situation. I am liking the v4 and am die-hard v2 fan, but we have to go with the times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Entering the Discussion late, I bought the T2K4 rules two days ago.

    My feeling is that the world is depopulated, but from the Text, because of the War, because of the Winters, by about 50%.
    If you look at actual maps of the area around Kalisz, there are villages every 2 Km, along with houses along the roads, the whole way.
    Early Edition maps make it look like there is nothing Southeast of Kalisz between the towns of Kepno, and Zloczew.

    Literally, this is the real deal:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Galewice,+Poland/@51.3587534,18.2171955,29667m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x471ac5913393e6a7:0x719f8f40ae38aad3!2s62-800+Kalisz,+Poland!3b1!8m2!3d51.7672799!4d18.0853462!3m4!1s0x471a9c90e8a25f31:0x30396854df0d6d80!8m2!3d51.3443387!4d18.2582474

    1 Encounter per hex is far from unrealistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello James, thank you for your comments. Living in Central Europe, I know exactly what you mean. It can be a bit crowded compared to my home in rural Maine and I find it great when people take the time to think about the condition of their game worlds.

      In my game world, the die offs are a bit greater for the belligerent. Direct deaths due to combat operations and nuclear strikes in a highly populated area such as Central Europe. Other deaths caused by supply chain disruptions, disease and lawlessness as the governments lose their ability to provide for, govern and control their population. Add into that the environmental effects such as harsher winters and disease and the numbers go up very high
      The effect be that there are a lot less people to encounter. Many population centers will see a reduction in populat8kns and some will be abandoned completely for various reasons. Many of the survivors will gather together in some places that offer natural protection or good food supply sources.

      Regarding the population, the ones that survived five years in this environment will be hearty individuals indeed. They will know how to survive and part of that survival will mean knowing when and how to contact other groups of people. Each group offers possibilities but also dangers. I do not subscribe to the "friendly farmer waiting on the roadside as the group drives by" image. He has no idea what they want or their general disposition.

      In short, the presence of a population center in our world does not mean that people live there in the T2K world and each group that encounters the players will have a reason to do so and a lot of survivors will avoid contact with armed groups if they can.

      That is they way it is in my world but I like that each GM has their own to develop.

      P.s. also an encounter per hex slows down travel a lot.

      Delete