Tuesday, January 26, 2021

0131 - Off We Go Again - Part IV - The Map

The encounter distance between the group and the Soviet convoy is 2D10x2 or 10x2 = 20 hexes. We are going to need a larger map (or smaller icons).

Some of you may be familiar with Virtual Assistant Squad Lead (VASL, http://vasl.info/), which is a module for Vassal (http://www.vassalengine.org/). One of the features here are the map boards, which can be downloaded from several sources like:


There are many more, of course, but my purpose in telling you this is not to plug VASL (although I am impressed with it), I want to talk about the map boards. The map boards them are .zip files can be opened with your favorite zip file program (or the windows explorer in modern windows systems. Inside you will usually find another file without an extension. This fill too can be opened with a zip file program. Inside you will find several other files and the map as a .gif file.



Using this process. I have taken four maps and placed them in a open office draw document, with the paper size set to A3 (portrait).



I then scaled my blast templates and markers to the appropriate hex size (make sure you keep the ratio when rescaling) and we are finished. A large-scale map showing a nice stretch of open Polish countryside, with a fields, etc.




Here is the full map.




2 comments:

  1. Very interesting! I'm late to the image work game, so these kinds of tips are so helpful. -W

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do a lot with "learning by doing" and I am hoping to save others a bit of work.

    ReplyDelete