Sunday, July 28, 2019

0077 - Map of Dobrodzień

No narrative this time, as it is a purely functional entry. For my map, I started with the Google map of the city, which I printed out on A3 paper.



Using tracing paper, I marked all major features, roads and larger buildings. I added the wall that the town needed into the drawing.



This left me with an approximate map of the city. I then copy the tracing paper to a sheet of A3 paper for coloring.




I then colored in the features using my wife's Copic markers. I like them because the colors do no run together. My wife is a landscape architect and they use the markers to color plans.

Following that, I printed a hex map on the drawing an cut it to show the main part of the city.



The map is usable for my purposes. I have also scanned all the images and can easily add them to an OpenOffice drawing as the background. Total time needed was approximately two hours, start to finish.

I thank my wife for showing me this technique. They often use this technique to produce renderings of how something will look when it is finished using pictures or maps as a basis.

Learn from others and adapt it to your hobby. 'nuff said.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Meters. Somehow the m got lost. The game itself uses the metric system, as does most of Europe, which helps a lot with the background material.

      I never use the imperial system, as it is a headache to explain and just calls for comments on how the metric system is easy and more logical.

      Delete