Friday, June 7, 2019

0064 - The Head Shot

Yesterday I had a short "discussion" (not meant negatively but I do not want to give the impression it was long or face-to-face) regarding headshots in T2K. For me, all head and chest shots cause double damage to everyone. According to the basic rules, double-damage should only apply to NPCs (with the exception of called shots). The logic here has never really been clear to me.

Generally, I believe that PCs have a lot of advantages over NPCs with higher damage point levels and initiative. Often, in my experience, a lot of NPCs get removed from the fight a long time before they die as their initiative is reduced to 0 (or below). PCs on the other hand can (usually) take a lot of hits before being removed from the game.

The following is a discussion of game mechanics. It is not meant to provoke a discussion of ballistics, tissue damage or modern firearms. I do not want to contemplate anyone getting shot in the head (or generally for that matter), I just want to talk about the game and remind everyone it is a game and supposed to be fun. That being said, my thoughts on head shots.

As I mentioned, I implement double damage for all head and chest shots, regardless of the type of target (PC or NPC). The damage can also be doubled as a result of an outstanding success or, in the case of PCs, as the result of a quick kill roll. NPCs are killed by the quick kill roll (hence the name).

If things go really south a hit to the head (x2) with and outstanding success (x2) that results in a quick kill (x2) could possibly be very dangerous. To make this a bit clearer, I compared our resident door-opener (Potato) to Klasha (not the biggest baddest in the room) and an NPC.

The assumption is made that each gets hit in the head by an RPK-74 (Damage 2, Penetration 1-Nil) at close range. The variations are one or more of the following:

• Shot hits the helmet
• Shot is an outstanding success
• Shot causes a "quick kill"
• Head shots always cause double damage

I assume three points of damage per damage dice. Potato has a constitution of 8, while Klasha has a constitution of 3. The NPC has the standard 40 hit points.


In the first set of shots, only the final shot, an outstanding success that does not hit the helmet and results in a quick kill would only result in a serious wound for Potato. Most any wound to the head is going to be dangerous Klasha, but we know that from experience. Even the NPC is going to either have a slight wound or die because of the quick kill.

In the second series, the damage for all head wounds is doubled. Klasha has at least a serious wound from any shot. The chances of a serious wound go up up for Potato and the NPC finally has a chance at a serious wound.

The final shot, with double damage that does not hit the helmet that is an outstanding success resulting in a "quick kill" now results in a critical wound for Potato. Very unlikely but still something to get you thinking before charging that machinegun.

Which system is more realistic is not something I want to debate. I use the second system, as it really adds challenge for the characters and I must admit, someone taking a bullet to the head and walking away with a scratch wound is something I have problems wrapping my head around,

These are just my thoughts on the game play. To each his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment