Friday, May 7, 2021

0159 - From the Workbench #2

 The 28mm T2K miniatures are finished and I am waiting for some 28mm WWII Polish Cavalry from KROMLECH Historical https://kromlechhistorical.com/ww2-1939-polish-army/53-polish-army-cavalry-troops-on-horses.html() and a shipment of 28mm Spanish Civil War Cavalry from Empress (https://www.empressminiatures.com/cavalry-51-c.asp) for use with T2K. Note: the Empress Miniatures were ordered in the EU this time and Kromlech is a Polish company out of Warsaw.

 

This got me thinking, looking over my pile of materials kept near my workbench, that having terrain hexes with 3D terrain would be a cool thing. Being a model collector and wargamer, I have a lot of models to choose from but my three main scales are 15mm, 20mm (1/72) and 28mm. Note: I am leaving out my Warhammer 40,000 miniatures, as I have them and play only when the kids need a beat-down from dad.

 

I thought that it would be great to have templates for all three scales and I decided on the following scales as a guideline (may not be exactly accurate but it works for me):

 

  • 15mm: 7.5mm = 1m
  • 20mm: 10mm = 1m
  • 28mm: 14mm = 1m

 

Armed with that, I created templates in LibreOffice draw. The hexagon height was set to 10m at scale (or 7.5cm, 10cm and 14cm). Not being the greatest math hero on the planet, I was concerned that the width would not be correct. Luckily I found a website to help me do the calculations (https://hexagoncalculator.apphb.com/). As I said before, may not be exactly right but it works for me.

 

Here are the templates and the page size I used was A4:

 



Using the templates, I then cut the hexes from a sturdy piece of cardboard, pictured below with a model the appropriate scale.



The hexes fit well together but how well depends on you, your knife and straight-edge and how well you cut. They are pictured below with some space between hexes and then loosely positioned.

 


 

Settling on the scale of 28mm, I first cut a lot of hexes and began working on a simple project, a cross-roads with a ruined building. The building is a cardboard core faced with cereal box cardboard. A few actions pics to close out this entry. All a work in progress at the moment, but at least I am recycling. ;-)

 

 



Maybe someone will find this useful and it helped me get it out of my head, so thanks for reading.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment