Saturday, June 9, 2018

0002 - What You Need

Like traditional roleplay, you are going to need some tools. These are the tools that I have in my bag of tricks. Some you will definately need and others make the experience more enjoyable. Here are my most important tools:

  • Rule Set: You need to have a copy of your favorite ruleset. Mine is Twilight: 2000 v2.2. I use the background and adventures from v1, mostly because the background is in my opinion better and there are many more adventures for the v1.
  • GM Emulator: This is not strictly a must have. If you have your own homebrewed rule set to simulate the person responsible for everything bad that happens to your characters, use that. Alternatively, roll a die and interpret as you see fit. I personally use the Mythic GM Emulator, available here. More on the use of the GME later.
  • Lots of Tables, Tools and Goodies: Keep your eyes out for things that may help you. Random NPC attributes, PC relationship tables and such can really increase your experience. Don't be close minded when it comes to those tools. Sure, it may be from a fantasy environment but a village map can quickly be adopted to your needs. Have a horse, a table of horse traits will bring life to that horse and let it stop being a collection of numbers. I have an entire collection of tables and etc. and I use them a lot. 
  • A Journal: your journal is your room to play in. Like traditional roleplay, you said it, it is done. Everything you do comes in the journal exactly as you intend to do it. After it is in the journal, it IS WRITTEN IN STONE. No changes, modifications, etc. This is your campaign history and like traditional roleplay, it cannot be undone. My journal is electronic (OpenOffice Writer document) but you may, if you want, use a paper journal. I warn you now, however, that there is a LOT of writing involved. It would be unfortunate if you gave up solo roleplaying because your hand went numb. I can type, so I prefer the electronic version.

No comments:

Post a Comment